10 Things you probably didn’t know about Costa Rica but should
Costa Rica is arguably the best holiday spot in Central America. If you are planning to head here, make sure you know the following facts about the country,
- The name 'Costa Rica' is Spanish for 'Rich Coast'.
- Costa Rica's neighbors include; Nicaragua to the north, Panama to the south, Caribbean Sea to the East and Pacific Ocean to the West.
- The country is just 8 to 12 degrees north of Equator. It therefore boasts a tropical weather throughout the year. Apparently, there is sunshine 365 days here.
- The country has 4.5 million inhabitants, and San Jose is the country's capital.
- Here is some exceedingly good news - Costa Rica has been ranked twice the best performing country in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index.
- Costa Rica is the only country in the Americas without a standing army. It abolished its military in 1949.
- During the Pre-Columbian times, the country was home to Mesoamerican and Andean tribes.
- About 25 % of the country's surface area is protected parks. The country is home to about 5% of the world's biodiversity.
- Among the most popular parks in the country are; Corcovado National Park, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and Tortuguero National Park.
- People here speak Costa Rican Spanish. Other languages widely spoken here include; Bribri, Maléku, Cabécar and Ngäbere.
Your Costa Rican tour can now begin. At the very least, you know something little about the country.
by Kennedy Runo
in Before your trip